jeudi 15 octobre 2009

Field assistant

Hiring Organization:
Durham University

Date Posted:
2009-10-12

Position Description:
I am a PhD student currently studying anti-predator behavior of samango monkeys (Cercopithecus mitis) in the Southpansberg Mountains, South Africa. I will be conducting my research for the next 12 months and am currently looking for anyone hoping to gain some field experience. I am based at the Lajuma Environmental Research Center (www.lajuma.com) which is a beautiful setting and a fantastic place to experience real South African wildlife. I am very flexible with what you would like to do: there are other projects at the center that you would be free to get involved with involving leopards, genets and others and you would be free to conduct your own research into the behavior of one of the habituated samango groups. So a spell at the center could leave you with a well rounded experience in many aspects of field research. There's no minimum stay, but I suggest a minimum of a month in order to gain the most from your trip. This really is a fantastic area, close to Kruger National Park and the borders with countries such as Botswana. There are often trips to these areas with other residents at the center which you would be free to join. Lajuma would also be an excellent stop-off for someone wishing to travel around more of Africa.

Qualifications/Experience:
No qualifications needed, I'll be able to provide any training that you may require.

Salary/funding:
I'm afraid due to a lack of funds for myself there is no funding available.

Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
The cost of staying at Lajuma is currently 3500 rand (approx $473US) per month. This includes everything but food, including a trip to town once a week (approx an hours drive). I would suggest the cost of food etc would be an extra 2000 rand ($270US) a month. I can provide some basic equipment that you may require, but this can be discussed before you arrive.

Application Deadline:
No deadline

Comments:
Please contact me by email and I'll be happy to forward you more information about my project and living at Lajuma.

Contact Information:
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom

E-mail Address:
b.t.coleman@dur.ac.uk