Max-Planck-Institute for Evol. Anthropology
We are looking for a camp manager for an ongoing long-term project in LuiKotale, Salonga NP, Democratic Republic of Congo. The person will be in charge of camp management, logistics, and communication. This includes organizing working schedules of local field assistants, making payments to local workers, organizing food and other supplies, maintenance of camp infrastructure, communication with our base in Kinshasa and with local villages. The camp manager is also in charge of processing and maintaining the plant sample collection at camp. Fresh plant samples are brought from the forest on a daily basis and have to be photographed and herborized before they are dried and stored for transport to the herbarium in Kinshasa. The person is also in charge of representing the project in communications with local authorities and village leaders. Information about the field site and research activities at LuiKotale is available at www.eva.mpg.de/primat
ESSENTIAL requirements are: (1) field experience, (2) language skills (English and French), (3) above average physical fitness, (4) high resistance to social/psychological stress, (5) practical/technical skills to supervise and maintain the camps infrastructure such as solar electricity, generator, satphone, sw-radio, (6) the ability to achieve tasks by improvisation, using the limited sources that are available, (7) the capacity to live and work with an international team of researchers, volunteers and local staff. Candidates should have social skills, a sense of leadership, a strong motivation to take on responsibility, and tolerance. Candidates with medical and rescue training, and candidates with experience in botany will be preferred.
Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
The project covers the following expenses:
- food (mainly local food supplemented with some western food)and lodging (in tents) at the field site;
- airfare for one domestic flight from Kinshasa to the field site and back;
- contribution of up to 800 Euros to an international return flight (reimbursement ONLY AFTER SUCCESSFUL COMPLETITION OF A 9 MONTS TERM OF APPOINTMENT);
- expenses for visa (reimbursement ONLY AFTER SUCCESSFUL COMPLETITION OF A 9 MONTS TERM OF APPOINTMENT);
The project does NOT cover the following expenses:
- expenses during the stay in Kinshasa on the way in/out of Congo;
- costs for a health and other insurances;
- personal equipment such as field cloths, camping equipment, and medication.
Term of Appointment:
9 months starting in August 2010
Before applying, candidates are expected to seek updated information on the political situation in DRCongo and to contact experts for information on the risk coming from tropical diseases.
Dr. Gottfried Hohmann
Deutscher Platz 6
++49 341 3550 208