jeudi 10 septembre 2026

Sujets de stage – Nick Jones

 I work on fish behaviour and cognition. With a focus on thermal e:ects on said. Background from my recent project proposal: Temperature is perhaps one of the most crucial (and obviously relevant) environmental factors that impact behavioural adaptation. It acts as both a driver of environmental change and has significant impacts on cognition and behaviour. For example, it drives habitat changes while
impacting the cognitive capacity of animals to navigate them. Temperature is especially important for ectotherms, like fish, as it most directly impacts much of their behaviour, ecology and cognition.
I have two projects that both use small freshwater fish (gouramis) in laboratory studies on the impacts of temperature on cognition. Focusing on thermal e:ects 1) across individuals with di:erent consistent behavioural traits, and 2) across species with di:erent thermal ranges. I use a combination of maze, and visual discrimination assays to address research questions in these two areas.
For an example of the mazes used and the kind of work, please see my recent publication: 'Increasing temperature reduces decision accuracy by shifting speed–accuracy trade-o:s in slower individuals. Proc. R. Soc. B 1 March 2026; 293 (2067):
20253261. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2025.3261'
Students would gain laboratory skills and experience, basic video scoring experience, and analystical skills. If the project is successful the student may eventually be included as co-authors on any resulting paper. I currently have no funds, but I would be happy to support applications to Erasmus+ grant https://www.univ-rennes.fr/financer-son-stage-letranger
If interested, or if you would like more information, please contact Dr. Nick Jones:
narj@st-andrews.ac.uk