POSITION: post-doctoral researcher
SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINE: biology
PUBLICATION DATE: 16.01.2017
KEYWORDS: food webs, trophic interactions, ecosystem services, plant-animal mutualism, seed dispersal, plant population dynamics, movement ecology, Ursus arctos
We invite applications for a post-doc position within the project BearConnect “Functional connectivity and ecological sustainability of European ecological networks- a case study with the brown bear”. This project is a collaboration of European research teams, funded under the BiodivERsA call within the Horizon 2020 ERA-NET COFUND scheme. The project aims at integrating brown bear movement and genetic data to evaluate functional connectivity in order to assess the effectiveness of the system of protected areas in Europe and to provide policy recommendations. BearConnect also incorporates aspects of population dynamics and species interactions. A specific goal is to understand the role that brown bears have in ecosystems, with a focus on trophic interactions and associated ecosystem services.
We seek for a highly motivated and creative post-doc, with good communication skills in English (oral and written), a strong capacity for work, and ability to think independently. As the post-doc will be part of an international research team, a cooperative character and willingness to travel and conduct research stays abroad at the participating research teams are highly desirable. The successful candidate is expected to publish results in scientific journals and present them to both scientific and non-scientific audience. The post-doc will (1) model the dynamics of key trophic interactions of the brown bear in response to future changes in climate and land use and (2) will quantify the economic value of plant seed dispersal, a key ecosystem service provided by bears. He/She will also contribute to modelling of range dynamics of the brown bear and its food resources in collaboration with other members of the research consortium. The researcher will also be involved in cosupervision of a PhD student associated with this project and potential master students as well as in fieldwork. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
CONTRACT PERIOD: 3 years (starting on 1st March 2017)
- PhD in biology, ecology or other related disciplines (candidates that will obtain their doctoral degree within four months from the project starting date are also eligible).
- Experience with food web analysis, species distribution models or analysis of animal movement.
- Good knowledge of statistical methods and analysis, particularly using R.
- Good knowledge of GIS programmes (e.g., ARCGIS or QGIS).
- Very good English skills.
- Good publication record (a minimum of 3 articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals is required)
85,000 PLN/year (approx. 4,500-5,000 PLN netto per month)
Funds to cover travel and accommodation costs during project meetings, research stays at project partners and scientific conferences.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED IN THE APPLICATION:
(1) A letter of interest (maximum 2 pages), detailing the qualifications of the candidate for the position, his/her research experience, and how this position will help to fulfil the personal career goals. The letter should include contact information of the candidate.
(2) Curriculum vitae, including a full publication list and copies of relevant academic certificates.
(3) A copy of the most important publication co-authored by the candidate.
(4) Two letters of reference from academic referees.
(5) A copy of the doctoral degree or of the candidate’s PhD thesis in case the degree will be obtained within four months from the project starting date.
Please include in your application the following statement: “In accordance with the personal data protection act from the 29th of August 1997, I hereby agree to process and to store my personal data by the Institution for recruitment purposes”.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
The documents should be sent by email to Nuria Selva (email@example.com) and Kamil Bartoń (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 16.02.2017 midnight 23:59 CET with the subject “BearConnect- post-doc application”. The pre-selected candidates will be invited for an interview in English during the second half of February.