Vervet Monkey Foundation
• Welcoming of all new volunteers
• Volunteer village orientations on arrival
• Main orientation the following morning – includes going over the rota, days off, volunteer guide, ensuring the volunteers sign an indemnity form & read the volunteer guide, touring and all other aspects of the centre. You will also show them around the centre and show them each area where the duties take place, introducing them to other volunteers along the way.
• Introduce volunteers to village duties, other duties & update protocols as necessary.
• Responsible for ensuring the village is kept tidy and clean and to report any problems. Maintain map and stock.
• Keeping a shopping list up to date with items required for the foundation.
• Supervising the kitchen staff to ensure enough food for the volunteers at lunch and dinner. Preparing the shopping list for food every morning & preparing menus weekly in advance.
• Daily rota – assigning volunteers to duties for the following day using an excel spreadsheet.
• Liaising with volunteers – first point of contact if any problems / questions, days off etc.
• Ensuring volunteers know where they need to meet the following day.
• Liaising with long term volunteers
• Responsible for all health & safety aspects regarding volunteers such a first aid kits, fire extinguishers etc.
• Collecting volunteers from the bus stop (if driving license)
• Taking volunteers out on half days at the weekend in the local area (if driving license)
• Being involved with all areas where needed such as monitoring of monkeys, helping in babyseason, sickbay, construction and general monkey handling, maintenance of centre or fruit collecting.
• Attending volunteer meetings on Wednesday evenings
• Attend committee meetings and participate where necessary.
• There will be the opportunity to become involved with fundraising projects and possible monkey patrol / census.
• Oversee all tasks that relate to the smooth running of the centre in relation to volunteers.
• Working on adhoc projects / PA to Manager
Min 4 GCSE’s with further education or equivalent
Experience in supervising / managing people (preferred but not essential)
Previous volunteer experience / experience with animals
Min of 4 years in the working environment
Attributes required for the position:
• Excellent organization skills
• Reliable, flexible, patient and responsible
• Co-ordinating skills
• Basic computer skills – word and excel
• Manual driving license (preferred)
• Able to speak to volunteers in groups between 1-40
• Work on own intiative
• Perform all tasks in the best interest of the foundation, monkeys and the volunteers.
• Certificate in First Aid (not essential)
• Strong interest in wildlife conservation
• Able to work in a hot climate at times
• Able to work as a team leader with people of different personalities and backgrounds
• Able to live and volunteer in the same community of people with changeable dynamics
We can provide basic cabin acommodation & vegetarian meals.
Min 1 yr plus
Josie Du Toit
Plot 35, California
Tzaneen 0850 0850
+27 83 45 45 381