mardi 31 juillet 2012
Short volunteer and Long term volunteer(field assistant)
HELP: Habitat Ecologique et Liberté des Primates H.E.L.P
We are looking for volunteers to work in our ongoing project of release of chimpanzees, in the Conkouati Douli National Park, a long-term field site in in the Republic of Congo.
The volunteer will have the opportunity to work in an amazing area. The activities are:
- chimpanzees feeding
- preparation of meals for chimpanzees
- help to the veterinarian
- construction of infrastructure
- maintenance of infrastructure
- weekly report for our website
- data collection on chimpanzees
- work in our reforestation project
- participating in the release program...
The volunteer position is for 3 months minimum.
For a position of three months, you will be affiliated to the Sanctuary, to feed the chimpanzees and work in the plantation mainly.
For a position of more than three months (long term volunteer), you will be a field assistant affiliated to the Triangle Station, to assist with data collection for a project on behaviour in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes)
These affiliations can differ depending on the personnel available.
Going in the Triangle, in the middle of the jungle implies more preparation for the field, and a training that can not be provided for people staying only three months, except again, if help is needed in the Triangle station.
The volunteer will be trained before going in the field is possible, will learn to identify individual chimpanzees in a released community of chimpanzees. The assistant will work alongside an existing team of personnel, recording detailed behavioural observations.
This field work includes long-distance walking through very difficult terrain, long days work, sometimes from dawn to dusk, in all weather conditions.
This position will provide the successful applicant with an excellent opportunity to gain extended fieldwork experience with detailed behavioural research.
- Preferred: Degree in primatology, zoology, biology...
- High motivation to work in all conditions
- Experience in Africa, animal behavioural research experience, primatology
- Knowledge of French
- Field experience, preferably in a tropical climate
- Above average physical fitness and tolerance of demanding physical conditions and resistance to social and psychological stress
- Ability to live in a very remote and basic camp, far from the family
- Ability to work with an international and local team
- Strong social skills and patience
- High degree of self-motivation and responsibility
- Respect for and willingness to adapt to local customs
- Respect for the project you will work for
- If possible, practical and technical skills required for orientation and navigation in the forest (GPS, compass)
There is no salary.
Fees: the applicant has to pay 450 euros per month plus the visa, the flight.
However, once you are in the field site, food and house are offered.
For applications of more than 6 months, 'free stays' is offered after the 6 first months paid. Then you will be able to stay for free and your food and accommodation will be covered
Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Food: local foods, rice, beans, bread, tomatoes cans…
Flight, visa, personal expenses are not covered by the project.
Term of Appointment:
As soon as possible
Volunteers are needed all the time
37 rue Burdeau
Lyon, none 69001
0033 4 26 18 44 55