The Cognitive Ethology Lab of the German Primate Center runs the research station “Simenti” in the Niokolo Koba National Park in Senegal, to study the social behavior, cognition and communication of Guinea baboons. To help with the data collection, and as a training phase for a potential PhD project, we are looking for a highly motivated field assistant for a period of 12 months, starting November 1st, 2017. We cover travel costs, medical insurance, necessary examinations and vaccinations as well as malaria prophylaxis (reimbursement after completion of stay). Lodging is free and we pay around € 400 per month.
If you like the work and fulfill the criteria for admission to the PhD program “Behaviour and Cognition” at the University of Göttingen, you might be interested to know that we will be offering two PhD positions starting October 1st, 2018 (65% fte for 3 years), as part of the DFG Research Training Group “Understanding Social Relationships”. There will be separate interviews for admission to this program in spring of 2018, according to our guidelines.
Required Skills for the field assistant part of the work
• Happy to live and work under harsh conditions and in remote areas
• Good physical fitness - be able to walk long distances in the heat
• Field experience
• Experience with observing animals
• Good intercultural communication skills
• Team spirit
• Basic knowledge of French
• Driver’s license
• Work closely with current team
• Take census data and behavioral observations
• Collect fecal samples for further analysis
• Contribute to the running of the project
Additional required skills for future PhD students
• A good M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in Behavioral Biology or similar fields
• Very good English skills (written and spoken)
• Good statistical and analytical skills
• Willingness to work in interdisciplinary teams
Some information about the project can be found at http://www.dpz.eu/en/unit/cognitive-ethology/field-station.html.
If you are interested in the field assistant position, please send a motivation letter, a CV and names of two referents to Rebecca Jürgens (firstname.lastname@example.org).